Wednesday 13 July 2011

Heal's Discovers Our Samantha!

Some exciting news we've been dying to share - Illustries' very own Head of Pictures, Samantha Neal, has joined seven other carefully selected designers to take part in Heal’s Discovers 2011! It's only one of our favourite shops!! Well done Sam!
 
Read on to find out what's happening...
 
Heal’s Discovers is an annual collection of inspired designs by the very best up-and-coming designers.

Having approached Heal’s in August 2010 with a specultive email detailing her artwork, Samantha nearly fell off her chair when Design Manager, John Jenkins, called and asked for a meeting. She says, “I’d always loved Heal’s and having worked just a stone’s throw away I spent a lot of time there, window shopping, mainly. But once I left London, whenever I visited I’d always make a point of popping in for some inspiration and a ‘small something’ to take back home. So I thought if I’d always admired Heal’s style, chances are that they might like mine”

Samantha was introduced to buyer Farzana Jones and trading director Giilian Anderson in meetings at their flagship store on Tottenham Court Road, London. After Christmas came a brief to work on ideas and designs for Autumn/Winter 2011. Samantha says, “I then spent some time thinking up a series of new ideas and creative tweaks to original designs that might appeal to the Heal’s audience.”

Samantha presented these ideas, considering autumn/winter colourways, patterns and framing and three weeks later five designs were chosen. Samantha recalls, “On cloud nine several days later, I realized this is when the hard work was about to begin. I had to make my idea commercially viable for both Heal’s and myself. I had to get into the numbers and as a designer, numbers are not my strongest point – as my accountant will tell you!”
After some ups and downs on the production side (but mainly ups), Samantha provided a set of samples to Heal’s for marketing purposes and photoshoots and later delivered her first order into their warehouse by hand: “ I had to hand over a year’s worth of blood, sweat and tears, but it felt amazing!”
On 7th July Samantha attended the special press show and for the first time the realization of her achievement dawned. Says Sam, “The merchandising teams had worked their magic and my art adorned the walls alongside products from the likes of Tom Dixon, Marimekko and Design House Stockholm. They looked stunning!”
Samantha’s five designs – all exclusive to Heals – In a Flutter London, Butterfly Wings & Hedgerow go on sale in store in August and are available online now. The official launch of the Heal’s Discovers campaign takes place during design week in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment